The Mohegan Church was founded as a Congregationalist Meeting House in 1831. Located on Mohegan Hill, traditional Mohegan spiritual traditions have continued at this site. The land used to build the church once belonged to Lucy Occom Tantaquidgeon, the sister of Samson Occom. The land was conveyed to the tribe by Lucy’s daughter, Lucy Teecomwas and granddaughter, Cynthia Hoscott, and would remain tribal property as long as the property continued to be used for a church.
Inside, an eagle feather has always hung above the cross. Sacred to the Mohegan, eagle feathers represent purity and high ideals. In 1860, Mohegan Medicine Woman Emma Baker revitalized the Wigwam or Green Corn festival on church grounds. By linking this festival to one of the last remaining tribal properties following the breakup of the Mohegan reservation, Emma focused tribal social and spiritual life at Mohegan Church. The pulpit was donated by Chief Little Hatchet, Courtland Fowler who led restoration efforts in the 1950’s.
In 2002, the church was fully renovated. An addition was added to include a Mohegan Veteran’s exhibit and social hall.
Today, the Mohegan Church continues to be an active tribal institution for religious, political, educational, and social functions.